- Clean all dust and debris off of your bike. Be sure it’s clean so that nothing gets stuck in the gears and chains.
- Check the tires. Changing temperatures can affect the inflation levels of the tires significantly.
- Adjust the seat on the bike if necessary. You need to be sure that you are comfortable for your ride. Also, be sure that the seat is sitting securely in place and isn’t loose.
- Dress properly. Skirts and other types of loose-fitting clothing are not recommended as sleeves, pant legs, or skirt bottoms can get stuck in the bike’s gears. Wear a solid athletic shoe and make sure your laces are securely tied.
- Make sure that your helmet is not cracked and still fits properly. Adjust the straps before you ever get on the bike. If you notice any cracks or dents, it’s time to replace the helmet.
- If you are planning on riding bikes with your children, follow the above-mentioned tips for their bikes and helmets. Also, make sure that you go over the rules of the road for bicyclists. Make sure that they understand all the hand gestures for turning and stopping.
These tip will help you to have a safe and fun first ride of the summer season.
Get more bike safety tips from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute.