Pool Safety Tips for the Summer
- Never allow children to be around or in the pool without a responsible adult nearby who can also swim.
- Be sure to install a 4+ ft. minimum fence around the pool so that neighborhood children and pets don’t get too close to the pool and fall in or slip.
- Keep rescue equipment close to the pool. You will need a shepherd’s hook and at least one life preserver. Also, be sure to keep a charged cell phone near the pool when you are outside in case you need to call 911.
- Post “rules” for the pool so that your children, other family members, and guests to your home understand what to do to be safe in or around the pool.
- Enroll children one year of age or older in swimming lessons. These are often offered at local YMCAs and fitness centers for a nominal charge.