Before the hot weather gets here, there are a few things you can do to prepare your home:
- Be sure your home is properly insulated. Insulation is an often-overlooked area of the home. If you don’t have enough insulation in your walls, floors and roof, it can lead to air loss. Eventually, this could result in your air conditioner working harder than normal to keep your living space cool and comfortable. If you think this may be a problem at your home, a general contractor will be able to perform an inspection.
- Get your air conditioner tuned up. The general rule is that you need to have your cooling system maintained at least once per year. Many problems are taken care of during a tune-up. Also, during a maintenance appointment, the unit is thoroughly inspected, and components are cleared of any dirt, dust or debris. Many of our Oncourse Home Solutions brands offer AC Maintenance Plans for low monthly rates that cover one annual tune-up appointment.
- Improve the weather stripping around your window and door frames. If you noticed drafts in your home during the winter, those areas of air loss will still exist during the warmer months of the year. The problem can be taken care of with the use of weatherization materials sold at your local home improvement store. These materials help to seal the frames so that cool, conditioned air isn’t able to escape.
- Change your bedding. If you had thick bedding during the winter and spring months, now is the time to swap everything out with thinner sheets and blankets. This will help you to stay cooler when you’re sleeping.
- Get the grill ready. Grilling meals during the summer months can help keep the inside of your home cool.
For more tips about keeping cool this summer, be sure to check back at our blog often!