NAPERVILLE, Ill., May 14, 2014 - On Saturday, May 17, more than 500 Nicor Gas and Pivotal Home Solutions employees, their families and friends, will perform a variety of community service activities during the company's 18th Annual Volunteer Day.
Volunteers will partner with community-action agencies and nonprofit organizations to complete 20 projects designed to contribute to the well-being of 15 northern Illinois communities. The projects, which focus on environmental education and sustainability, community enrichment and energy efficiency, include beautifying nature trails and sprucing up grounds, planting community gardens and native plants, organizing food pantries and delivering meals to seniors.
“We have been a part of the fabric of this region for many generations, and we are proud to give back to the communities where we live, work and raise our families,” said Beth Reese, president of Nicor Gas. “Throughout our rich history of serving customers, we have held ourselves accountable for doing business the right way. For us, that means living our corporate values and benefiting the communities we serve.”
Volunteer Day, which has taken place on the third Saturday of May since 1996, is one of the largest single-day corporate volunteer initiatives benefiting cities and towns in the Nicor Gas service area. It also culminates the first-ever AGL Resources Volunteer Week, an initiative that spans nine states and supports the company's ongoing mission to make a difference in the communities it serves through its philanthropic and volunteer efforts.
“Philanthropy and volunteerism is an important aspect of our corporate culture, and employees at all levels of the organization selflessly give in many different ways to support those in need,” said Robin Boren, president of Pivotal Home Solutions. “We are proud to employ hardworking, generous people who are passionate about giving back to the community.”
The variety of activities planned includes the following:
- Volunteers will deliver meals and energy-savings kits to seniors as part of Meals on Wheels in Aurora. This project is sponsored by the Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program.
- More than 20 volunteers will sort food at the Aurora Area Interfaith Food Pantry at 1110 Jericho Rd.
- The Two Rivers Head Start Agency in Aurora will benefit from spring cleaning activities inside and outside of the facility.
- Volunteers will give a fresh coat of paint to the Boys and Girls Club of West Cook County in Bellwood. This project is sponsored by En Rapport, the AGL Resources African-American employee resource group.
- A team will tackle home renovations alongside McLean County Habitat for Humanity volunteers at a building project in Bloomington.
- More than 50 volunteers will assist with landscaping outdoor spaces and painting Marcfirst group homes for individuals with mental and physical disabilities in Bloomington.
- DeKalb volunteers will once again return to the Salvation Army Food Pantry at 830 Grove St. to plant a community garden and perform outdoor cleanup.
- At the TAILS Humane Society in DeKalb, 20 volunteers will perform outdoor cleanup work and paint the facility.
- Benefiting a Downers Grove area women's shelter, volunteers will landscape, plant and mulch the facility's property. This project is sponsored by the AGL Resources women's employee resource group, Inspire.
- Food for Greater Elgin volunteers will roll up their sleeves unloading, sorting, and placing food in a warehouse on Commerce Drive, in Elgin.
- Evanston volunteers will clean up outdoor spaces at Connections for the Homeless.
- Geneva volunteers will sort and organize food at the Northern Illinois Food Bank at 273 Dearborn Ct.
- Joliet volunteers will help organize the Morningstar Mission retail stores and warehouse at 350 E. Washington St.
- Volunteers will clean up the property at Cornerstone Group Home, a short-term, residential group home for boys, ages 13-17, in Lisle.
- Naperville volunteers will pitch in to plant and landscape the property around the 60-acre McDonald Farm run by The Conservation Foundation.
- Lending hands to Loaves & Fishes Community Pantry at 1871 High Grove Lane in Naperville, volunteers will sort food collected during recent community food drives.
- Volunteers at Lake Katherine Nature Center in Palos Heights will build an outdoor climbing area, spider maze and a turtle mound at the Children's Forest.
- The Rock River Valley Food Pantry will welcome volunteer efforts to help sort food in Rockford.
- Outdoor cleanup activities are planned at The Manor at Hearthstone Communities, rehabilitative and nursing care facilities at 920 N. Seminary Ave. in Woodstock.
- Yorkville volunteers will sort food at the Kendall County Food Pantry at 1204 Deer St.
About Pivotal Homes Solutions
Pivotal Home Solutions is a subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) formed in 1992 to provide energy-related products and services with a home warranty and energy efficiency focus. Pivotal Home Solutions markets “Home Solutions,” a proprietary line of customizable home warranty and energy efficiency plans that can be co-branded with utility and energy companies to maximize financial performance and build and sustain customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.pivotal-homesolutions.com.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.
# # #